Split-Pi Power Controller
There are currently two products in our Split-Pi Power Controller Range:
UDIO series “SPLIT-PI” DC-DC controllers
- 0-60 Volt input input and output
- Seamless UP/DOWN (Boost/Buck) conversion
- 25 or 75 Amps continuous current rating
- Bidirectional current; IN/OUT truly symmetric
- Extremely high power efficiency > 97% much of load map
- TRUE DC (not PWM) < 5mV RMS ripple
- Isolated serial digital control
- Integrated Voltage Current and Temperature Measurement
- Common GND non-isolated
LOWER and HIGHER power devices coming soon.
- DC motor control with inherent regeneration, output from 0 to multiple of supply voltage
- Hybrid and full electric vehicles
- Solar PV MPPT and battery charge management
- Wind power MPPT
- Fuel cell, source/load power matching
- Electrolyser and solar PV to hydrogen dual MPPT
- Battery bank management
- Ultra-Cap based DC bus support
- Industrial and test and instrumentation power supplies
- Regenerative test load
- Vehicle and boat domestic power regulation
The UDIO series is designed to cover a wide range of applications.
Split-Pi units generate true DC, with full open loop stability at all loads, including zero. They have a very low insertion impedance (typ 18 mOhm (UDIO60.25) or 6 mOhm (UDIO60.75)) and will seek to maintain a constant ratio of input to output voltage until current limits are reached. It is typically the lowest impedance device in a circuit by a factor of ten or more.
For motor drive this supply is NOT PWM and so motors run far cooler, with far lower EMC problems. The device is truly symmetric in current terms, and so offers tight open loop dynamic speed control and regenerative braking.
In wind and solar applications these devices allow Maximum Power Point Tracking of the source. In PV to hydrogen electrolyser applications the device allows MPP Tracking of the solar array, and simultaneous voltage control to the electrolyser to maximise production efficiency.
With fuel cells Split-Pi can regulate the load output voltage very accurately, providing very low ripple DC supply. The high efficiency UP convert (Boost) mode allows stacks to be created from fewer, larger cells whilst still delivering common output voltages, increasing reliability and power density.
In battery charging and management applications this is very low ripple power, kind to batteries, allowing fine control. The very high power efficiency means energy can be transferred with minimal losses. The device is also excellent at voltage conversion in mixed battery voltage systems, such as 12V and 42V car systems. Specific regulator versions capable of supplying a fixed, stable output voltage from a vehicle supply are expected Q2 2012.
Split-Pi is probably unrivalled as a companion product to Ultra-caps in DC bus support applications. Unlike other technologies it can suck all (down to about 200mV) the charge from an Ultra-cap, and can maintain an output bus voltage whilst the ultracap voltage varies above and below. With multiple Split-Pi units it is possible to mix battery and ultra-cap technologies, and cross charge them as needed.
Split-Pi is also excellent as a test power supply or as a regenerative load, for instance allowing power supplies to be tested on full load, whilst 95%+ of their output power is recycled to drive them